Charitable organisations and associations that have inspired me:
- The Poppy Ball – to raise money for the British Legion.
- Starbucks – Qatar – Doing work with the Fund for families without husbands – In Ramadan inviting the families in to dine in the outlets and delivering food and drinks to centers and hospitals.
- Al Noor Center for Special Needs Dubai, UAE
- Dubai Center for Special Needs – Dubai, UAE
- Maria Cristina Foundation – Endorsed by the Red Crescent/Red Cross ( for work in Pakistan and bringing children from there to Dubai, UAE to be sponsored and schooled to give the children a head start in life and try to break the poverty cycle).
- Hanna Howard Fund – Attracting sponsors for the Hanna Howard Fund in Africa.
- Gulf for Good – Dubai, UAE – fundraising for an initiative devised by Sally Prosser ‘Gold for Good’. Unwanted broken gold however small was donated and sold. The proceeds were used for the Palestinian Children’s Relief Fund to provide emergency dental equipment and an x-ray machine for use in refugee camps in Lebanon and also the SOS Children’s Villages to furnish two concrete houses for 16 orphaned children and their ‘house mothers’.”
- Amani (Children’s home) – Tanzania – Assisted with fundraising from Dubai, UAE spearheaded by Shams Hawksford.
Since moving to Australia I have started to get involved with and/or support:
- Sydney CBD Rotary Club – with their many charities one of which is to assist people to have the right business attire to go for interviews. Another is linked with AIDS prevention research. Another of their many projects in 2013-2014 was to raise funds for the Salvation Army – Trafficking & Slavery Safe House.
- ICM (The International Care Ministries) – Through Verity Thomson who took her family to the Philippines this year to assist with the kid’s camp. At the gala dinner fundraiser post her trip, hand-made teddy bear’s were sold – each bear raised enables four children to be schooled for one year.
- Ride to Conquer Cancer – This will take place the weekend of October 25-26 between Albert Park to Mornington and then return. The 200km cycle ride is to raise awareness and funds for Peter Mac. Also, The Weekend to End Women’s Cancers benefiting Peter Mac. This year we will be part of Crew 101 looking after the registration for 2015.
- Avner Nahmani Pancreatic Cancer Foundation – The foundation runs walks in many states and hosts dinners to raise funds for this worthy cause. www.avnersfoundation.org.au